1. Around 22 crore Indian children are at risk of worm infections.
2. There are various types, like tapeworms, roundworms, pinworms, threadworms, and hookworms.
How will I know?
Children may complain of stomach pain frequently. A few of the common symptoms are irritability, reduced hunger, vomiting, weight loss, frequent cold with occasional fever, bed wetting, and bloody/ loose stools. You may observe them in the stool at times!
A stool examination and other investigations may be required to confirm the diagnosis.
1. Worms can lead to
2. Nutrient disruption,
4. Malnourishment and
5. Impaired mental and physical development.
So, what is the solution?
Post diagnostic confirmation Worm Medicine (Anthelmintics) are to be consumed as per doctor's prescription.
Few precautionary tips:
1. Use clean toilets
2. Wash hands thoroughly before food.
3. Keep feet covered while playing on the ground
4. Always drink boiled/bottled water during travel
5. Wash fruits & vegetables in clean water
6. Covering open wounds or cuts
7. Wash hands after handling dogs & get'm de-wormed.
Once diagnosed, worm infections can be effectively treated through oral medications and precautions negates the chances of recurrence!