Did you know?
1. We may have 700 different types of bacteria in our mouths.
2. 1 in 4 adults aged 20 - 64 currently has cavities.
3. People who drink more soda, caffeine, and sugary drinks are at 62% more risk of dental caries.
4. Oral diseases affect nearly 3.5 billion people worldwide.
1. 61% of adults say they are attracted to a person's smile.
2. Teeth can't repair themselves, but your smile can stop a war.
3. Women smile 68 times daily, whereas men smile eight times daily.
4. Dentist William Morrison co-invented the cotton candy machine.
Why does Oral health = overall health?[2,3]
Besides dental cavities, gum disease, and bad breath, poor dental care may cause various systemic diseases, including cancers.
Conditions linked to poor oral health
1. Endocarditis: Bacterias from tooth plaque causing gingivitis (gum disease) may inflame heart chambers & valves through the bloodstream.
2. Cardiovascular diseases: People with gum disease are more likely to have a heart attack or stroke.
3. Pneumonia- The bacteria may enter & infect the lungs causing respiratory tract infections.
4. Cancers: Poor dental care is a prominent cause of various types of mouth and upper respiratory tract cancers.
Brief Dental Care[1,2,4]
1. Use of fluoride toothpaste & replace toothbrush every 3 to 4 months
2. Brush teeth twice a day for two minutes every time.
3. Use floss to remove dental plaque.
4. Limit sugary & alcoholic drinks.
5. Control blood sugar levels
6. Drink plenty of water frequently
6. Gargle after every food.
7. Visit your dentist once a year.
Keeping smiling with your healthy teeth takes little effort!