With the concern of global warming, the scorching heatwave forecast in many parts of India counts in various health threats. Let us try to recognize them with possible way-outs:
1. Heat Stroke - The core body temperature increases leading to confusion, short & rapid breathing or unconsciousness.
- Cool down with cold showers or an ice pack.
- Rehydrate and replenish lost electrolytes
2. Food Poisoning: Avoid food poisoning by keeping perishable foods refrigerated.
- Rehydrate and replenish lost electrolytes.
- Seek medical help for specific treatment.
3. Eye Damage: Long exposure to UV rays can cause dry eyes, redness and irritation.
- Wear sunglasses that filter out UV light.
- Consult your doctor to get suitable eye drops having antihistamines and mast cell stabilizers to relieve irritation.
4. Dehydration^^: Excessive heat combined with insufficient fluid intake causes dehydration.
- Drink plenty of fluids & schedule vigorous outdoor activities early morning or late afternoon.
- Eat water-rich fruits and vegetables.
5. Sunburn$: Repeated exposure to the sun can burn the skin, cousin blisters and redness.
- Wear high SPF sunscreen that protects against both UVB & UVA rays.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts & staying out of blistering midday rays
6. Insect stings: Can cause itchiness, redness or swelling if left untreated
- Avoid heavy perfumes & scents.
- Wear light coloured clothing and use repellants.
1. https://bit.ly/3ybPuNR **
3. https://bit.ly/3LE6O23 $