It is safe to have sex during pregnancy unless there is spotting or bleeding during the episode. However even in these cases you can resume after 12 weeks. Take safe postures to make the sex more pleasurable. It can continue till the last month of pregnancy unless there are some reasons for premature labor. Signs of premature labor. If you have any doubts you should consult your doctor.
Sex is better avoided in the following conditions:
- History of premature birth or labor. However doctor's advice is good.
- History of miscarriage.
- If you experience unexplained vaginal bleeding or discharge.
- If you have placenta previa, or a very low-lying placenta (these are abnormalities of the placenta- your doctor will let you know if there is a problem).
- If you have a problem with your cervix (again your doctor will let you know if there is a problem).
- If you or your partner has a sexually transmitted disease .
Information to consider when thinking about sex during pregnancy:
Exhaustion, hormonal fluctuations, tender breasts and self-consciousness about weight gain can bring your sex drive to a halt. Give yourself a break to regain energy.
The common missionary position may become uncomfortable and warrant considering other positions such as side by side or with you on top.
As your breasts increase in size, they may become more tender or sore. Encourage your partner to explore other parts of your body and to find other ways to caress you. With the changes in your breast it is best to avoid direct nipple stimulation.
There is increased blood flow to the pelvic area that can lead to engorgement of the genitals and heighten the sensation; however, for some women this can be uncomfortable.
Quick Bytes by Reliance General Insurance:
With parenthood comes responsibility, the most important being caring for your family’s health. Starting from your wife’s prenatal check ups to your baby’s vaccination and medication, it is very important to get the best possible healthcare. But, a good healthcare comes at a cost which is good enough to dig hole in your pocket. Shun away the option of shocking medical bills during your wife’s pregnancy by insuring her under a health insurance policy.