Air travel in pregnancy is one of the safest method of travel during pregnancy. Train travel is also safe.
Air travel during pregnancy do not cause any problems to the mother and the child. Certain conditions in pregnancy, such as severe anemia, sickle cell disease, clotting disorders and placental insufficiency, can increase the risk of problems.
Mid pregnancy (14 to 28 weeks) are the best time for air travel since the risks of abortions and preterm labor is low. Your health care provider may restrict travel of any type after 36 weeks of pregnancy or if you're at risk of preterm delivery.
When you fly:
- Check the airline's policy about pregnancy and flying. Guidelines for pregnant women may vary by carrier.
- Choose your seat carefully. For the most space and comfort, request an aisle seat. For the smoothest ride, request a seat near the front of the plane.
- Buckle up. During the trip, fasten the lap belt under your abdomen and across the tops of your thighs.
- Promote circulation. If possible, get out of your seat for a short walk every half-hour or so. If you must remain seated, flex and extend your ankles often.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Low humidity in the cabin is dehydrating.
Women who are concerned about air travel during pregnancy often worry about air pressure and cosmic radiation at high altitudes, but these issues aren't usually problematic. Decreased air pressure during flight may slightly reduce the amount of oxygen in your blood, but your body will naturally adjust. And although radiation exposure increases at higher altitudes, the level of exposure for the occasional traveler isn't a concern.
Quick Bytes by Reliance General Insurance:
A good healthcare is must for one and all, specially women and children. Moreover, if you are expecting a baby or just stepped into motherhood, you would need to take extra care of your health. This is one of the phase of life where you would need to visit doctor regularly. More medical care, means more heavier bills, more expenses. But do not compromise on your health due to high cost of healthcare. Insure yourself under a good health insurance policy and get cover for both - prenatal and maternity care.