Health insurance is more important now than ever, with the coronavirus pandemic still raging across the globe. However, you need coverage in case of other illnesses too. So, before deciding to go with one, be aware of the 3 main types of health insurance:
COVID-specific health insurance
- The premium for coronavirus insurance is cheaper than comprehensive health insurance. The sum insured is also high enough to prevent any financial difficulty in case of an unfortunate eventuality. However, a COVID-specific plan will not cover you in case of any other medical emergency or critical illness, unlike a comprehensive plan
- COVID-specific plans can come with 100% sum insured if you are diagnosed with COVID-19 and require 72 hours of constant hospitalization. They have a waiting period of 15 days. In the case of a comprehensive policy, the sum insured will depend on factors like age, lifestyle and health problems and the waiting period is for 30 days
- Also, if you have a COVID specific as well as a comprehensive policy and you make a claim after being diagnosed with COVID, you will still be able to retain the NCB discount from your comprehensive policy
Comprehensive health insurance
- Apart from providing financial security in case of coronavirus infection, a comprehensive health insurance plan will cover various other diseases. It will cover the cost of hospitalization, pre & post hospitalization, daycare procedures (like chemotherapy and dialysis), critical illnesses (like cancer, heart attack, stroke etc.), medical tests, medicines and even regular health check-ups. Additionally, get:
- Cashless treatment at one of the 8600 + network hospitals
- Policy delivery within 10 seconds
- Tax benefit under section 80D
- EMI payment facility
- Instant renewal without paperwork
Although a comprehensive policy is overall more expensive than a COVID-specific plan, it is worth it, since it provides broader coverage
Health insurance plans
- Choose from different types of plans customised according to your requirements and budget. There are specific plans to take care of treatment for Corona, Critical Illnesses, AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha, Homeopathy), etc.
In the table below, we have compared different health insurance plans available with Reliance General Insurance Company Ltd. in detail for your easy reference.
|Sum Insured||₹3 to ₹18 lakh||₹1 to ₹5 lakh||₹3 Lakh to ₹1 Cr||₹50k to ₹10 lakh||₹50,000 to ₹5 lakh||₹50,000 to ₹2.5 lakh|
|Policy Tenure||1 & 2 Years||1 ||1, 2 & 3 Years||1 Year||3.5, 6.5 & 9.5 months||3.5, 6.5 & 9.5 months|
|Ayush Benefit||Up to 100% of SI||Up to 100% of SI||No limit||Up to 100% of SI||Up to SI||Up to SI|
|Donor Expense Benefit||No (for standard plan)||No (for standard plan)||No limit||NA||NA||NA|
|Day Care Benefit||Covers inpatient treatment -172 day||Yes||Yes||Yes||NA||NA|
|Pre-Post Hospitalization||Up to 60 days||30-90 days||90-180 days||30-60 days||15-30 days||15-30 days|
|Room Eligibility||Single private room||No limit||No limit|
Up to 2% of the sum insured subject to a maximum of Rs.5000/-, per day
|Ambulance Charges||Plan A - up to Rs1500 per hospitalisation||Up to ₹1,000||No limit||Up to ₹2,000|
Rs 2000 per hospitalization for the Ambulance services
|Cumulative Bonus||Up to 100%^|
NA. No Claim Bonus: 5% per claims-free year (No claim discount,) maximum up to 20%
|NA||Up to 50%^||No||No|
|Age Eligibility||91 days to 65 Years||91 days to 65 Years||91 days to 65 Years||91 days to 65 Years||18 to 65 Years||18 to 65 Years|
|Claim Settlement||Yes**||Yes**||Yes**||Yes**||100% of SI||100% of SI|
|Initial Waiting Period||30 Days||30 Days||30 Days||30 Days||15 days||15 days|
|Voluntary Co-payment||20%only for entry age above 61 years or above||Up to 25%if claimed in zone A region*||10%, if opted||5% for all claims||No||No|
All in all, choosing the right health insurance policy will depend on your specific needs and your budget as well. However, having at least one policy is essential to protect yourself against rising medical costs in case of an emergency. Although quite a few vaccines have been approved for emergency use in many countries, it will take time for everyone to have access to the vaccines. In the time of this pandemic, letting your guard down for even a minute is out of the question. You must take all the precautions possible and invest in a good health insurance plan to stay protected always.
For health Gain Insurance
Maharashtra, Bangalore, Delhi, Haryana, Gujarat, UP Zone B: Rest of India.
^33.33% increase in base sum-insured for every claim-free year; Maximum up to 100%. 33.33% decrease in base sum-insured for every claim year; Maximum up to cumulative bonus earned
**In the case of Cashless claims - 1% of the claim amount up to a maximum of 6% is paid if there is a delay beyond 6 business hours after receipt of all information/documents. In the case of Reimbursement claims - 1% of the claim amount up to a maximum of 6% is paid if there is a delay beyond 21 days after receipt of all information/documents.
For Health Wise Insurance
^Cumulative Bonus of 5% is applicable for every claim-free year. The maximum discount availed can be 20%
#Geographical Rating Structure is being introduced i.e. Zone A (Maharashtra, Gujarat, Delhi, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh & Bangalore) and Zone B (Rest of India). If a customer from Zone B makes a
claim in Zone A, then he will be liable to a 25% co-pay. However, those residing in Zone B can choose to pay an appropriate premium as applicable for Zone A and avail treatment all over India without any co-payment.
**Cashless facility can only be availed at a Network Hospital by presenting the health card
as provided by the Company along with valid photo identification proof. Planned hospitalization –Intimation of such admission to be done at least 48 hours before the planned date of admission Emergency Hospitalization-Intimation of such admission to be done within 24 hours of such admission .
For Health Infinity Insurance
**100% Claim settlement in(FY 19-20)
For Arogya Sanjeevani Insurance
*Increase in the sum insured by 5% in respect of each claim-free year subject to a maximum of 50% of SI. In the event of a claim, the cumulative bonus shall be reduced at the same rate.
^Increase in the sum insured by 5% in respect of each claim-free year subject to a maximum of 50% of SI. In the event of a claim, the cumulative bonus shall be reduced at the same rate
!Room Rent, Boarding, Nursing Expenses as provided by the Hospital /Nursing Home, up to 2% of the sum insured subject to a maximum of Rs.5000/- per day.
Intensive Care Unit (ICU) /Intensive Cardiac Care Unit (ICCU) expenses up to 5% of sum insured subject to a maximum of Rs. 10,000/- per day.
**Increase in the sum insured by 5% in respect of each claim-free year subject to a maximum of 50% of SI. In the event of a claim, the cumulative bonus shall be reduced at the same rate .