To provide with proper treatment, your doctor will ask you to go through the following mentioned tests:
- ECG/EKG/Electrocardiogram: ECG shows how much muscle of your heart is damaged, and it also shows the heart rate.
- Blood tests: When heart cells are damaged, their content including enzymes mixes into the bloodstream. These blood tests measure the levels of enzymes in your blood. This will help the doctor in finding out how severe was the heart attack.
- Echocardiography: This test is done to see how the heart is pumping, what areas are not working properly.
- Cardiac Catheterization/ Cardiac Cath: This test is required during the first few hours of the heart attack if medications are not working properly. It provides an image of a blocked artery. It also helps in the opening of blocked or narrowed arteries.
Once you are inside the emergency room or even in the ambulance, treatment begins right away. Taking some drugs will break blood clots, widen the blood vessels, will stabilize the plaque, lower your pain, and much more. These medications are:
- Aspirin prevents blood from getting a clot.
- Antiplatelet drugs like prasugrel, clopidogrel, ticagrelor
- Thrombolytic therapy
Bypass surgery is another way of treatment. You must have heard of this surgery a million times. This surgery helps in the restoration of the blood supply to your heart.