Raised blood pressure (BP) is "the silent killer", responsible for 7.6 million deaths per annum worldwide (13.5% of the total), more than any other cause. About 54% of strokes and 47% of coronary heart diseases are due to high BP. Over 80% occurs in low and middle-income countries.
What is Blood Pressure?^^
Blood pressure is the sidewise pressure of blood pushing against the walls of one's arteries due to work done by the heart by pumping blood.
What do blood pressure (BP) numbers mean?*
It is measured using two numbers expressed as mm Hg:
1. Systolic BP, i.e., the pressure in the arteries when the heart beats.
2. Diastolic BP means the pressure in the arteries while the heart rests between beats.
What are the abnormal ranges?^^
1. Elevated: 120 - 129/<80 mm Hg
2. High (Stage 1): 130 - 139/80 - 89 mm Hg
3. High (Stage 2): >140/>90 mm Hg
What are the risk factors for Hypertension?^^
Smoking, poor diet, age, sedentary life, obesity, stress, family history.
How do I know that my BP has gone up?
It is a real danger that you may not know at all!
The best way is through regular checkups. In severe cases, you may get symptoms like severe headaches, nosebleeds, confusion, chest pain, difficulty in breathing, palpitation, pounding in your chest or neck etc.
How to lower your high blood pressure?**
1. Eliminate processed carbohydrates & sugar
2. Exercise regularly
3. Pranayam and meditation can be of help
4. Quit smoking & limit alcohol consumption
Know your numbers & take the self-assessment quiz on World Hypertension Day.
1) What is normal blood pressure?
a) 120/80 mm Hg
b) 120/90 mm Hg
c) 129/80 mm Hg
d) 140/90 mm Hg
Answer: (a) 120/80 mm Hg
2) According to W.H.O, ___ of Adults with Hypertension are unaware that they have the condition.
a) 46% b) 55% c) 20% d)70%
Answer: (a) 46%
3) Hypertension is called a "Silent Killer" because:
a) It makes no noise
b) It makes a sudden appearance
c) Most people suffering from Hypertension are unaware of it
d) It has minimal warnings or symptoms
Answer: (c) & (d)
Explanation: Hypertension is called a
"silent killer". Most people with hypertension are unaware of the problem because it may have no warning signs or symptoms. For this reason, it is essential that blood pressure is measured regularly.
4) What type of diet should I follow if I have high blood pressure?
Answer: (d) DASH
DASH diet (Dietary
Hypertension) consists of a diet high in fruits, vegetables, lean protein and whole grains and low in salt and fat.
5) How do we prevent high blood pressure?
a) Exercise regularly
b) Quit smoking & limit Alcohol consumption
c) Eliminate processed carbohydrates & sugar
Answer: (d) All