A silent killer is choking various parts of India, and for millions, there's no choice but to breathe it in.1
What is Air Pollution?
It's the contamination of the indoor or outdoor environment by any chemical, physical or biological agent modifying the natural characteristics that are harmful to humans and other living beings or cause damage to the climate or materials. In 2013, WHO classified air pollution as a
Air Pollution levels in India *** |
|UTTAR PRADESH||VERY UNHEALTHY||
|Air Quality in India - 193
24th Nov. 2021|
What is Air Quality Index? **
Air quality index (AQI) is a numerical scale of 0-500 used to report hourly air quality concerning human health & the environment
2. An increase in the air quality index signifies increased air pollution & severe threats to human health
3. AQI calculations focus on significant air pollutants, including particulate matter, ground-level ozone, sulfur dioxide (SO2), nitrogen dioxide (NO2), and carbon monoxide (CO)
Daily AQI Colour||
Levels of Concern||
Values of Index||
Description of Air Quality|
|Green||Good||0 to 50||Air quality is satisfactory, and air pollution poses little or no risk.|
|Yellow||Moderate||51 to 100||Air quality is acceptable. However, there may be a risk for some people, particularly those who are unusually sensitive to air pollution.|
|Orange ||Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups||101 to 150||Members of sensitive groups may experience health effects. The general public is less likely to be affected.|
|Red||Unhealthy||151 to 200||Some members of the general public may experience health effects; members of sensitive groups may experience more serious health effects.|
|Purple ||Very Unhealthy||201 to 300||Health alert: The risk of health effects is increased for everyone.|
|Maroon||Hazardous||301 and higher||Health warning of emergency conditions: everyone is more likely to be affected.|
Quality of air, quality of life#
It has been proven that air quality affects human health. Living in a pollution-free environment signifies a better quality of life, but do we know how air pollution affects us and which kind of polluting particles damage parts of our bodies?
Who is more affected?^
1. People with chronic lung/heart disease & diabetes
2. Seniors, children, pregnant women
3. People who are prone to allergic conditions
4. People who work-out outdoors
Main Causes of Air Pollution
1. Automobiles exhaust
2. Industrial emission
3. Burning fossil fuels
4. Agricultural activities
5. Burning of garbage waste
6. Cooking stoves using fuel
How does Air Pollution affect health?^^
3.8 million people a year die prematurely from illnesses attributable to household air pollution, and ambient air pollution accounts for an estimated 4.2 million deaths per year.
1. 27% are due to pneumonia
2. 18% from stroke
3. 27% from ischaemic heart disease
4. 20% from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
5. 8% from lung cancer
Long Terms Effects
Respiratory: Air pollution can affect the lung by developing emphysema, asthma, chronic obstructive lung disease, chronic bronchitis.
Cardiovascular: Fine particulate matter can impair blood vessel function & speed up calcification in arteries.
Neurological: Chronic headaches, memory impairment.
Cancer: Occupational exposure to benzene, gasoline causes various blood cancers.
5. The NIEHS Sister Study found other airborne toxic substances, especially methylene chloride, which is used in aerosol products & paint removers, are also associated with an increased risk of breast cancer.**
Stay tuned for more!
- https://bit.ly/3DESMcs *
- https://bit.ly/3FAnd45 #
- https://bit.ly/3kWemBR ^
- https://bit.ly/32bawy6 ^^
- https://bit.ly/3qYvJFN **
- India Air Quality Index (AQI): Real-Time Air Pollution Level *** (As of 24th Nov.2021)