By making some smart choices, one can prevent/manage their winter allergies effectively
What are the tests to confirm Winter Allergies?*
1. Few blood tests like Differential Count, Absolute Eosinophil Count, Immunoglobulin test etc. may be required
2. Sometimes skin tests are also done
Any common treatment options?*
Over-the-counter medications are primarily useful, like:
3. Nasal sprays to clear allergens, reduce symptoms and fight inflammation
4. Neti-pots or nasal irrigation - saline distilled water flushes help
5. Eye drops for allergy symptoms to relieve dry, itchy eyes
6. Pain relief to reduce headaches and inflammation
7. Nevertheless, go for the doctor's advice if the symptoms are severe or prolonged
Preventative measures you can adopt:^^
What to do?§
1. Maintain domestic hygiene and ventilation
2. Pets are to be cleaned and kept insect-free
3. Vacuuming/cleaning the house once a week
4. Wash garments, bed sheets etc., with hot water once a week
5. Take care of your house by cleaning damp, dark areas; remove cockroaches, mites etc if found in your house
6. Use pollution control masks whenever travelling in open dusty regions.
What to take?**
1. Dehydration may worsen runny nose, sneezing & cough. Take frequent warm water sips
2. Vegetables, especially leafy green ones, broccoli, cauliflower, spring onions, contain bioflavonoid, which moderates histamine production and release
3. Have anti-inflammatory food and drinks like Flax-seeds, Ginger, Turmeric etc.
4. Citrus fruits contain loads of Vitamin C and bioflavonoids, which boost the immune response
What not to?
1. Smoking: It can worsen your runny, itchy, stuffy nose and watery eyes
2. Avoid triggers causing allergic responses, if you know them.