Degrading air quality is augmenting diverse health ailments. These pollutants are slow killers & affect our overall well-being.
How adversely does Pollution affect Eye Health?**
Frequently observed symptoms are:
● Dry Eyes
● Mucoid Discharge
These can lead to: **
● Allergic reaction
● Increased risk of infections
● Visual difficulties, including refractive errors
● Impaired colour vision
Dry eye syndrome (DES)## is the most frequent complaint among these symptoms, with the incidence seen more in women >50 yrs using contact lenses.
The surface of the eye is inflamed & dry in DES along with the above symptoms.
How do I manage and protect myself?^^
The treatment of the eye symptoms of air pollutant exposure without an infection or allergy is to cool the eyes by washing them gently with clean water, followed by applying a cool compress.
Alternatively, one may use:
● Lubricating eye drops
● Sunglasses when stepping out
● Contact lenses are to be avoided until the eyes are healed completely
● Seek doctors' consultation promptly when needed