Know Your Blood Numbers!
1. Hypertension is high blood pressure that can lead to heart diseases and stroke and is measured with two numbers (systolic and diastolic), expressed in millimeters of mercury (mmHg).
2. It's Hypertension if you have a blood pressure reading of 130/80 mm Hg or higher.
3. In India, around 220 million people are believed to have Hypertension, but only 12% of them manage to keep their blood pressure under control. Therefore, it is crucial to grasp its fundamental aspects on World Hypertension Day.[4, 5]
SO! What's the BIG Tension?[1,2,3]
1. Harmless Hypertension can sometimes cause a medical emergency called a hypertensive crisis.
2. Symptoms of a hypertensive crisis include Severe headaches, Seizures, Confusion or change in mental status, Chest pain, Shortness of breath, Nausea or vomiting & Vision changes.
3. Eventually, it may turn into complicated life-threatening diseases like Heart attack or stroke, Heart failure, Kidney & Eye problems and many more.
How to Pressure-control?[3,4,5]
1. Maintain a healthy weight
2. Eat a nutritious, low-sodium diet.
3. Maintain a regular physical activity schedule.
4. Limit your alcohol intake.
5. Cease smoking.
6. Utilise relaxation to ease stress.
7. Follow Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH)
In some cases, doctors advise medications to manage Hypertension—primarily Diuretics, Beta-blockers, ACE inhibitors, Calcium channel blockers, etc.
Taking care of your blood pressure is essential to maintaining good health. By following the advice of your healthcare provider and adopting a healthy lifestyle, you can effectively manage Hypertension and reduce your risk of facing serious health issues.
Remember, taking control of your health is the first step to a happy and fulfilling life!