On 24th February, hon’ble Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the presence of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami launched the subsidized scooter scheme for working women on the occasion of the 70th birth anniversary celebrations of late political leader Jayalalithaa. Today we are going to talk about Amma Two-Wheeler Scheme in detail:
Amma Two-Wheeler Or Scooter Scheme
Amma Two-Wheeler scheme was launched for the development of working women especially that comes from the poor section of the society. The main motto of the scheme is the ease of use, only gearless or auto-geared vehicles are included in the scheme.
Under this scheme, eligible applicants can avail of the discount on a two-wheeler purchase of up to a maximum of 50% or Rs.25,000 whichever is lower. Applicants have to take care of the remaining cost of the two-wheeler. Under this scheme, differently-abled women can get three-wheeled retrofitted two-wheelers.
Benefits Of Amma Two Wheeler Scheme
The main aim of the government of Tamil Nadu is to empower working women, especially from the underprivileged section of the society. Some of the benefits of the Amma Two-Wheeler Scheme are mentioned below:
- Approximately 1,00,000 women get the benefit each year.
- Subsidy of 50% of the cost of the Amma scooter or Rs.25,000, whichever is lower.
- Applicable to all urban and rural areas of Tamil Nadu.
- Subsidy gets directly credited to the beneficiaries’ bank account.
- Differently-abled women can avail retrofitted three-wheeler scooter.
- For the remaining cost, women can avail bank loan or pay through own funds.
Eligibility For Amma Two-Wheeler Scheme
Below is a table which offers an insight into the eligibility criteria:
Age||18 – 40 Years|
Annual Income||> Rs 2,50,000|
Education||Appeared Class 8th Examination |
Driving Licence (DL)||Valid Two-Wheeler Driving Licence or Learner's Licence*|
*If the applicant has applied for a Learner’s Licence, she should submit the valid DL at the time of submitting the subsidy claim form.
- Women who are commuting long distances
- Employed women whose earnings are the primary source of income for the family
- Women who are registered as workers in the organized and unorganized sectors
- Women employed in shops and establishments
- Self-employed women who are engaged in petty trades
- Women who are either on consolidated salary, daily wages, on contract employment in Government Aided Organizations, government projects, private institutions, or community-based organizations such as:
- Mavatta Makkal Kattral Maiyam
- Panchayat Level Federations
- Village Poverty Reduction Committees
- Banking correspondents and ASHA workers
Along with the application form, you need to submit copies of the documents mentioned below:
- Proof of age
- Proof of Residence
- Driving Licence or Learner’s Licence
- Income certificate
- Proof of employment in case of salaried or wage employment.
- Proof of educational qualification or appearance of 8th standard exam
- Passport size photograph
- Proof to establish your membership of priority category, wherever applicable
- Differently abled ID
- Invoice quotation or Proforma Invoice of the vehicle
For more information, you can log in to Tamil Nadu Corporation For Development Of Women. You should also buy two wheeler insurance as it provides financial coverage in case of damage and it is also mandatory as per the Law.